Monday, September 8, 2014

CMYK Wedding invitation

This past weekend was my wedding celebration, and I designed the invitations. My initial color inspiration was the pinball machine Party Zone from 1991 which incorporates bright fluorescent colors. I quickly came to the realization that this party was not just my rave but a party for our families so I should keep it tasteful. To me fluorescent colors don't stand out well by white, it fades the brightness and I wasn't ready to use black as the background, so I dropped that idea. Instead I went with pure CMYK, to make it as bright as possible without using custom inks.


Monday, September 1, 2014

Making a Snail video

Martha Stewart - American Made 2014 - Nominee Badge I nominated myself for the Martha Stewart American Made awards because I'm an American maker. While there is a panel of judges choosing the majority of the winners, there is also a spot for an audience favorite, so anyone can vote for their favorite maker from September 15 to October 13, 2014. For the application I made a little video about making a Snail Mail toy.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Cat Portrait: Dolly and Blue

My friends Angela is having an art show for her birthday and she asked me contribute something, so I painted her two adorable kitties, Dolly and Blue. When I get more info about the show I'll update this, but I'm assuming it will be in Oakland somewhere.
UPDATE: The art show is at MOCO 372 17th St, Oakland, CA 94612 and it should be up for the month of September.


Saturday, July 19, 2014

San Diego Comic Con 2014

Next week, I'm heading down to San Diego for my first Comic Con!

I'll be there with these awesome cartoonists: Alec Longstreth, Liz Prince and Greg Means.

 I'll be at their table all week, helping out and selling my movie zine: Terrible Movie Nights.  If you're gonna be there, come stop by our table in the Small Press Pavilion: aisle K, table 6.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Making a Gold Tie

In preparation for my September wedding celebration party I am making a new dress, which is currently under construction. Since I'm making a new dress, Alec will get a new, matching tie and here's the process of making that tie.

I do have a commercial pattern for making a tie, but I found that it's pretty easy to just buy a thrift store tie and rip it apart. Plus I can use the interlining material instead of buying a yard of it when it's rare that I need this type of interlining.

First I ripped the seams open on my thrift store tie.

I then cut out the correct shape on the bias of my gold fabric. There is a seam halfway through the tie. I don't know the history of ties but I'm assuming this is just so that you don't have to waste too much fabric since cutting on the bias takes a lot of fabric.

The ends of the tie need a separate lining fabric, I just used some teal satin that I had leftover from another project.

To make sure the the lining is hidden at the tip, sew the corner before you attach the lining. Since I wasn't following a pattern I didn't completely understand this step so I had to sew the lining twice, but I got it in the end.

Turn the lining towards the inside and press out the points of the tie. Then place the interlining in the center of the tie, fold over the edges, with the top have a double fold to create a clean connection.

Pin then sew the tie closed by hand.

The finished tie!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

I Love Bad Movies contribution

I'm a contributor to the latest issue of a super rad zine I Love Bad Movies. Issue 6 is their food issue and I got to do a write up and illustration for Deathbed: The Bed that Eats. I had previously said that I would never watch Deathbed again, but I recanted and actually enjoyed it the second time around. Buy your own copy here: Ilovebadmovies.com


I don't mention it much on this blog but I have a separate blog where I make watercolor paintings based on the bad movies that I watch with my friends: Terrible Movie Nights.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Snake Tote Bag

I picked up an awesome screen printed tote bag by Mimi Chrzanowski at TCAF this past May. I loved the print so much I got it even though it was not my favorite size of tote bag, which meant I would eventually get around to altering it to be just the right size for me.


The original size of the bag is about 12x12", which is a fine size and will fit an LP or two, but a little small for me to use on a regular basis.


 Luckily, since I collect fabric I had a forest green cotton canvas that complemented the colors in the print and the minty green fabric of the bag.


I ripped the seams apart on the original bag with the plan to add the dark green cotton fabric to the sides, ending up with a new bag size of 17 inches wide by 14 inches deep with a flat bottom.


Since I was already ripping this whole thing apart I decided to add a little interior pocket with a zipper for my wallet.


When I make things for myself I freely add all sorts of found things that have been sitting around for a long time. I added this ant ranch patch and some ric rac to the interior pocket.


I didn't have enough of the minty green straps to just attach them back so I made longer straps from the forest green canvas adding a gold lamé stripe and more purple ric rac.


I folded the bottom in to make a flat base, giving the bag some depth.


If you fold the bottom before you sew the side seam you can catch the base. Sew up the sides. I wanted to keep as much height from the original bag as possible so I create a facing to finish off the top edge instead of folding over the top to make a hem. I also added an interior loop that I can clip my keys onto.


The finished bag now holds about 20 records, not something I carry around often but it helps explain the size change.